With the vast universe of the internet, it can be hard for brands to understand what customers are saying about them and what is going on within the industry.
A morning for a PR Pro starts with scanning the news for information about your client, its competitors, and the industry. This used to be easy back when the few large newspapers were delivered to your door. Now the news is 24/7 with new articles popping up on the internet each second. This makes scanning the media for information a lot harder.
Luckily, PR Pros have a few tools available! Here are a few:
- Google Alerts- Provides a free news alert system by google. New articles published online about your keyword are tagged and sent to your email.
- Talkwater Alerts- Free and very similar to google alerts, but has slightly different results.
- Flipboard– Instead of searching through news articles this program recommends news articles based on your interests.
Why is Media Monitoring important?
By keeping up with news about your brand, competitors, and the industry PR pros can learn a lot. They can see potential crises, target influencers, keep up with the competition and the industry, and more.
Ok, media monitoring ✅ But, with today’s diverse media it is also important to include listening to conversations people are having about your client’s brand, its competitors, and the industry. But with LinkedIn, Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook, twitter, Reddit, and so much more, how do you keep track?
Luckily, PR Pros also have a few tools available for this! Here are a few:
- TweetReach– This site monitors twitter and gives you a nice summary. Not the most complex tool, but it has a free option.
- Hootsuite– allows brands to gauge the social sentiment, tracks conversations on social media, follows trends, and more. Starts at $9.99 a month.
- Sprout– Identifies Twitter and Instagram keywords, twitter influencers, tracks trends and more. It starts at $99 a month, but offers a free trial.
- NUVI– includes real-time data visualizations, channel dashboards, custom reporting, mobile alerts and more. Pricing starts at about $500 a month
- Salesforce Radian6– The product helps brands analyze and engage in millions of social media conversations with lots of bells and whistles. It will cost you about $600-900 per month
- Synthesio– Offers noise removal, trend spotting, sentiment tools, and more. However, this advanced technology will cost you around $1,200 per month.
Why is Social Listening important?
In today’s market, social listening can really add to PR efforts. By listening to conversations on social media PR pros can attract more customers, find social influencers, manage brand reputation, and provide better customer service.
“Listening to customers is more important than it’s ever been because their feedback is manifestly public where it’s historically been private”- Jay Baer
“Listening is one of the most important this a brand can do online. If your brand is just broadcasting its own agenda, it isn’t truly engaging in a conversation” -Jeremy Goldman